It’s hotter than hot in Dubai, and if you find yourself ambling around in the afternoons in the comfort of your air conditioned room scrolling through your phone, chances are you have noticed that elsewhere in the world, berries and most stone fruit (peaches, cherries & nectarines) are in season.
Since we live in Dubai, the lines of what is in season seems to blur with most produce available throughout the year. It does have its advantages like being able to eat Mangoes for longer than a couple of months in the year but fruits and vegetables when consumed in season are fresh, contain less preservatives and have a natural depth in flavour and ripeness that I do miss here. I keep my eyes peeled for a particular surge in availability of certain fruits and vegetables and if they are at a good price, they are likely to be in season somewhere in the world (hopefully close by).
On one such lazy afternoon I was rummaging through the fridge to find an easy dessert I could whip up and take to a friend’s place and was lucky enough to find a frozen pastry dough in the back of the freezer, that I had made a few weeks ago and left in there for safekeeping. It felt like those times as a teenager when I’d reach into a pair of jeans to unexpectedly find scrunched up money still intact after a wash.
The recipe below works for any stone fruit or berry. The sharp tannin taste of the blueberries with the sweet nectarines were a beautiful combination. The almond flour filling under the fruits ensures the juice of the blueberries and nectarine don’t run into the galette base and make it soggy.
The galette can be eaten as is or you could cut a slice and serve it with a scoop of Vanilla ice-cream and some toasted sliced almonds.
Blueberry & Nectarine Galette
Makes 2 Galettes
Preparation Time : 15 mins (not including chilling of the dough)
Baking Time: 25 mins
200g All Purpose Flour
100g Cold Butter
40g Fine Sugar
Pinch of Salt
90g Almond Flour
20g All Purpose Flour
Fruit: (any Berry / Stone Fruit would work)
2 Handfuls of Blueberries
Egg wash and Brown Sugar for Dusting
- Mix flour and sugar and rub in the cold cubed butter into the mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add in the egg and salt to form soft dough. (Do not over knead the dough, as the pastry will turn out tough).
- Make two balls, flatten, wrap in cling film and chill for an hour. You could also freeze for upto 3 months and use the dough later.
- Dust the surface with flour and roll the dough on a parchment paper to 1/8 inch thickness.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the filling (almond flour, AP Flour and Sugar) and spread onto the rolled dough leaving a 2 inch border around.
- Lay the blueberries and sliced nectarine over the almond filling and top with lemon zest and basil leaves and fold the dough over the filling by pinching and pleating in every few inches. This doesn’t have to be perfect just ensure the filling is contained.
- Brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle brown sugar over the entire galette
- Bake at 180˚ C in a preheated oven for 20 mins
- Once done, let it rest for 5 mins before eating it warm.