For a few weeks I have been thinking about planning ahead of the season for recipe development for the blog. Fall recipes have started to pop up on most major blogs and food websites providing the much needed inspiration for warm, hearty and spicy bakes. In Dubai though most fruits and vegetables are imported and available throughout the year so planning ahead isn’t actually a problem. I had though to make an apple based dessert but after last weeks experiments in the kitchen with Joy the Baker’s version of the Brown Butter Baked Doughnut I had to make an Apple Doughnut.
This Apple Hazelnut Baked Doughnut really hits the spot. It is moist, light, packed with familiar flavours yet surprisingly the doughnut itself isn’t very sweet. From the original recipe I adjusted the quantity to fit a standard doughnut mold for 6 doughnuts, replaced the buttermilk with a cup of fresh grated apple and switched up the brown butter for Hazelnut Paste and added more cinnamon to make it nuttier and spicier. The ideas was to have a dessert that was spicy, moist and the majority of the sweetness came from the apples.
I did however make a white chocolate glaze and top with biscoff crumbs to take a simple, easy and rather one dimensional comfort bake to an incredibly decadent place.
It’s so quick to make and most of the ingredients are pantry staples. I love the idea that from start to finish I can have a dessert in under 20 minutes with minimum preparation, cleanup and fancy equipment.
Do try the recipe and leave a comment below to let me know what you think.
Apple Hazelnut Doughnuts with White Chocolate & Biscoff
Makes 6 doughnuts
Prep time 10 mins
Baking Time 9 mins
Apple Hazelnut Doughnuts
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup packed sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh apple
2 Tbsp Hazelnut Paste
White Chocolate & Biscoff Glaze
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
3 Tbsp Almond Milk
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/3 Cup icing sugar
6 Biscoff Cookies crushed
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl.
- Add in the sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg, grated apple and hazelnut paste and mix until just combined.
- Grease and flour a doughnut tray and spoon out the mixer into the mould until 2/3 the way up.
- Bake in the oven for 9 mins, leave to cool and then remove from the tray and cool on a wire rack
- For the glaze melt the white chocolate chips along with Almond Milk and vanilla extract over a double boiler.
- Add in the icing sugar and mix to a dropping consistency, adjust with an additional Tbsp of Almond Milk if needed.
- Dip the doughnuts in the glaze and press own on a plate of crushed biscoff cookies.